Tuesday, March 5, 2013


<Singing> "These boots were made for walking... and that's just what they'll do!  And one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over Kili!"  Okay, okay, I've never been that good at song lyrics, but I like these lyrics way better today!

I wore my hiking boots and layered up for our field trip today to Comerica Park.  It was 32 degrees and windy--not Kili, but after spending four hours outside (I even ate lunch with my kids in the bleachers) the layers have officially passed the test!  I'm guessing we walked a few miles easily--possibly more if you trace my paths to check and double check bathrooms, corral kids, and lead and caboose the train of people.

After yesterday's video training conference online on "altitude sickness and all things evil that can happen" I made a pact with myself to accept my personal summit (whatever it may be) and not push if my body says enough.  However, I will make sure I train to give myself every advantage I can prior to the climb.  Yesterday I completed the 30 minute circuit at Planet Fitness and was able to increase the weights +10 lbs. (the next bar) on a few machines while finishing off with some yoga ball legs exercises.  (I usually just rock the cardio hard for 60 minutes and now I'm switching it up once a week.)  Pretty proud of how I'm slowly becoming more fit!  I'm going to do that circuit once a week to increase my muscle strength and then add on some additional exercises to meet the 60 minute goal.  My sticker chart on my fridge (can you tell I'm an elementary teacher?) is looking good as I get a sticker every workout.

Well, after a full day outside sleep is calling me earlier than usual.  Have a great night!

See those boots?  Don't worry, I stayed off the field,
but they'll soon travel to way cooler places!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Safari...

Not a Safari...
The only Safari I've been on--it doesn't count. OMG--I'm doing the real thing soon--in the real country!