Sunday, March 17, 2013

"You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes." This quote swirled through my head today as Caryn and I stared down two hiking paths at Island Lake State Recreation area.  There was the yellow verses the blue loop.  "Let's do the blue, I'm up for the challenge," I said and we headed off for what we thought was a 6 mile loop.  


9 1/3 miles and a little over four hours later through hills and snow we resurfaced.  Woo-hoo--we did it!  My phone running Map My tracks died 3 hours in, but it still recorded the majority of the information.  Our average speed was 2.4 mph (pole', pole') and we had a +104 elevation gain/loss.  We even had our own "mimi summit" towards the beginning when we climbed a huge hill (pretending it was Kili of course) and a 360 degree view around Island Lake State Recreation area.  (Although my app says that this point was only 912 feet above sea level--quite a difference from where we'll really be.) It was fairly hilly (up/down up/down) thank you to the glaciers that carved out our hiking route a few thousand or so ago.

I feel great--I came home and ate very healthy--baked chicken, hummus, roasted acorn squash, couscous, and cranberry apple relish.  The hike worked up my appetite and it was difficult to make it home to eat without stopping for food.  (Midway through the hike I got in the mood for IKEA meatballs--but alas, with my phone dead I was unable to mapquest directions, so I headed home.)  I kept thinking, just one double cheeseburger on my way--but I resisted all temptations and was rewarded with way healthier food once I got home.  

Looking forward to another hike soon--with Stoney Creek 4.8 mi hike with Julie and Island Lake 9.3 mi hike with Caryn at this rate I better not wear out my boots before our trip!  




Great App. called Map My Tracks can record loads of information,
but it drains your battery as it tried to keep the signal :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Safari...

Not a Safari...
The only Safari I've been on--it doesn't count. OMG--I'm doing the real thing soon--in the real country!