Sunday, February 24, 2013

Why hello United Kingdom, Germany, and United States Blogger viewers--I was very excited to see someone (other than me) is actually clicking on this page!  Only 131 days until my African adventure officially begins!

Well today I did an outdoor hike with James (and his family's golden retriever Luna) from Grand Blanc, MI around Stoney Creek Metropark.  I parked and was loading up my gear and here he comes in his car down the road--I was a dead giveaway.  I had on a huge smile, my hiking backpack stuffed with 4 liters of water for weight and my hiking poles were out/ready when James rolled by!  (You can say I kinda looked like the poster child for a mountain trek climb--you couldn't miss me.)  As he pulled up and changed into his hiking boots I thought to myself, "Who would have thought a few months ago I'd get up early on a Sunday to go hiking outside in February?"  After that thought and a quick glance at a map we were on our way!

We had a relatively easy trek--some hills and inclines, but nothing major.  (I have a more challenging and hilly path researched for another day.)  A sleet storm a few days ago left some slick icy areas under the snow, so I actually used my hiking poles to catch my balance twice.  (I imagined those to be mini glaciers--we'll see real glaciers at the top of Kilimanjaro.)  Once we hit the top of a hill I said, "hey look, we've reached the summit!"  Well, not exactly.  At about 700 feet above sea level we have a bit to go (about 18,600 more feet to go give or take a few to be exact).  The one thing I did not plan on was over layering.  Easily 20 minutes into our 2 hour trek I was unzipping my outside winter jacket to vent out some heat!  I picked out a different jacket than my last hike, but I think the backpack with the weight made we work a bit hard and therefore become sweatier faster.  (Hey, better to learn this now rather than later!)

After a few turns near the end and a short hike back to our cars once we exited a quarter mile off the path we started on I'd say it was a successful trek out.  Things I realized I will need close at hand on Kilimanjaro is my chapstick and tissues--I forgot at how much your nose runs when it is cold.  Also, extra socks.  My feet were toasty and warm--no way that pair of socks will last more than four hours.  I think a lunch sock change on the mountain will be in my future.  One to wear and one to air that is!

On a different note, it was also really nice to chat with James on my excitement/fears and things I've learned online so far!  You can share thoughts with your friends and family, but there is nothing like feedback from someone else who is 100% in your shoes as well!  looking forward to the next hike out, who knows, maybe I just won't wait until our next required one...    


A real glacier on the top of Kilimanjaro--hikers say the can feel the cold rolling off them before they see them.  (We'll come across these first in part of out midnight trek up to the summit--see them again on our decent from the peak.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Safari...

Not a Safari...
The only Safari I've been on--it doesn't count. OMG--I'm doing the real thing soon--in the real country!