Monday, February 4, 2013

First outdoor hike = done!  It was a brisk 20 degrees as I hiked through Dodge Park and slid over the icy patches on early Sunday morning.  I brought my iPad with me to document via video some key parts and use the footage to make a short video for YouTube and practice with iMovie.  Fell through some ice a few inches looking up at my surroundings and not down at the path... you know, good times!  I learned that when your fingers are cold the screen can't recognize your touch.  After breathing on my fingers to heat them (because I had to take off my gloves to manipulate the buttons) it worked!  Good to know for the mountain later.
Funny thing though, no one was out and then a nice lady with hiking poles came my way.  I quizzed her where she bought them from in our passing and went on my way.  On her way back she caught me videotaping by the river and we paused to chat more.  Long story short, her grandkids go to our school and I see her daughter weekly helping out!  Small world!
So I am very excited about the tip she gave me that L.L. Bean online has the hiking poles.  I went to REI and Gander Mountain and had a moment of sticker shock.  Since I'm super tall I'm going to need to get the men's hiking poles to fit myself correctly.  I also checked out backpacks as I am certain my external metal frame of the one I own won't be welcomed warmly on the airline.  I'm going to do some serious shopping here soon so I can practice with all the gear I'll be bringing with me soon.

Above is a quick picture of me by the Clinton River which had mini ice burgs in it. You won't catch me joining the polar bear club anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Safari...

Not a Safari...
The only Safari I've been on--it doesn't count. OMG--I'm doing the real thing soon--in the real country!