Thursday, January 31, 2013

Today I discovered a fantastic app. called Google Earth and I immediately searched Tanzania.  An hour later (to my surprise) I glanced up from my iPad and realized I had my newsletter for my classroom and this blog to complete before bed.  I have to tell you how amazing it was though, I trekked up the Kilimanjaro trails virtually (made it to the top in record time-LOL) and then found pictures/descriptions of more to explore.  I have a feeling I'm not done with it tonight--I'll fly around a bit more and explore before I can call it day!

My hiking adventure officially launches with a small group of us this weekend--I plan on taking some pictures of our first hike out.  It is supposed to be in the 20's degrees Fahrenheit with sun.  Weekend weather in Tanzania you say?  90 degrees Fahrenheit at the base of Kilimanjaro with a chance of thunderstorms with the temperature quickly dropping down to below zero at the top.  I am going to recreate the conditions I'll be experiencing with a 30 lb. backpack on the whole time--lugging around three liters of water.  It will motivate me, I'm sure, to go out and purchase a better hiking backpack as I think my shoulders will do most of the weight carrying verses my lower back.  (I have an older external frame hiking backpack from camping, but can't imagine it begin allowed through baggage with United Airlines, so a new/used one it will be!) 

I keep racking my brain to come up with ideas for the children's orphanage we will be visiting--I know for sure I want to bring some new toothbrushes for them.  I have also Googled some ideas such as buy a desk or uniform for students.  Also another need is solar powered flashlight since access to batteries and electricity is not an option for many.  What about an additional mattress for the kids to sleep on?  Then there are always school supplies--pencils, pens, markers, crayons... the limiting factor being the luggage on the plane.  Hmmm... I wonder what is most important?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Not a Safari...

Not a Safari...
The only Safari I've been on--it doesn't count. OMG--I'm doing the real thing soon--in the real country!